Established 1996

Established 1996

Sunday, November 9, 2008

My Little Man Got Baptized!




Yesterday was a great day. JD got baptized and I am a free mother - he is responsible for his own sins now! Ha! I wish it were that simple. I used that card a few months ago when he was being a stinker to some of his friends. I had a long talk (actually, many long talks - he likes to discuss things with me) with him about how he was about to turn 8 which meant he would be responsible for his own sins. I said it in a...well...forceful manner so he would get the point. And that he did. Something clicked inside him that day. I don't think he understood the magnitude of his turning 8 until that moment.

Many conversations and lessons followed in the weeks after that initial conversation. I must say that there is something about this magical age 8. JD has grown in maturity and understanding over the last few months - to the point where I really felt like he was ready to take the the plunge (ha ha pun intended).

Since JD is a very thoughtful, sensitive and introspective kid, I could definitely see his little ticker mulling over the magnitude of his baptism and confirmation. He would ask me things like, "Mom, will you describe what the Holy Spirit feels like?" Or, after getting in trouble, he would come crying to me, "MOM, THE HOLY GHOST DIDN'T TELL ME THE RIGHT THING TO DO!" I would give him the standard gospel answers, but it just always seemed to come back to an issue of faith. "JD, if you have faith that one day you'll feel the Holy Spirit's comfort, then you will - just keep praying," would be my standard answer. I had no doubt that eventually he would feel something that he could identify as the Holy Ghost, I just didn't know when it would come.

It couldn't have come at a more perfect time. I know the Lord was aware of JD's desires and so when Joel placed his hands on his son's head to confirm him a member of the Church and to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, JD felt it for the first time. What a wonderful testimony builder! Yeah!



He shared this little bit of information with his gammy (Joel's mom) immediately following the baptism and confimation program. She asked him if he felt anything special during his confirmation and he was able to identify the warm feeling around his heart as the Holy Ghost. Later that evening when we were home, I was able to hold him in my arms and ask him the same question that his gammy asked. He explained the feeling to me and I was so thankful that he could recognize it with certainty.


The entire evening was very spiritual and I couldn't have asked for better experience for our first child's baptism and confirmation. Baptisms around these parts aren't that common so it was neat to have such a great turn out. JD and his friend Annie had a joint baptism at our chapel. We are friends with Annie's family so it was a warm and inviting little program that took place. The talks were perfect and the spirit was strong - especially during JD's confirmation.

JD and his bud Annie

Camryn and her bud Brigham
(Annie's Brother)

Christian and his bud Lily, or Lolee
as he so affectionately renamed her.
(Annie's sister)


JD received a very nice set of scriptures during a special family dinner out (before the baptisms). He was soooo excited. Not in a yipee kind of way, but in a way that exuded curiosity and validated his maturing age. He and Annie showed off their new scriptures later that night - it was cute. I spent a good part of the morning today walking him through this ins and outs of the scriptures: footnotes, topical guide, glossary, how to find scriptures etc. He spent the entire sacrament meeting perusing the pages of his new precious gift.

Joel and I are aware that JD is a gem and are continually trying our best to be good stewards of his strong little spirit. I feel like I fall short most of the time when it comes to raising him, but that's where the beauty of the atonement comes into play. If we can just try our best, Christ makes up the difference. I love the gospel!



Anyway, JD is on his way towards making a name for himself in this life. I hope that he might read this entry in our family blog book some day and at the very least feel comforted by the feelings he had on the day of his baptism and confirmation.

11 comments:

Teresa said...

Well I am crying. Heather, what a great kid JD has turned out to be. It gives me hope for Nicolas. I am so amazed at your knowledge of the gospel and the way that you teach your kids. I envy that, and hope to be like you one day. Congrats to JD on his baptism and confirmation. I hope to post the same of Drew someday soon. Congrats to you on raising such a wonderful little man!

J said...

That reminds me that my little girl is going to be baptized soon. What a great day. When our oldest was baptized there was a recognizable difference in our home and Richard said it was because another member of the family had the Holy Ghost. It's awesome.

Brit said...

We are so proud of JD; what an awesome little dude he is. It is pretty overwhelming to be entrusted as parents of these strong spirits. But obviously you and Joel are doing an awesome job. Give the big guy (JD!) a hug for us!

amydear said...

Yeah! I love this post. So fun to JD and Annie. Jillian's baptism is just three months away, so I'll have to have her read this too. Congrats on having one of them reach the age of accountability!

jen Whetman said...

Congratulations to J.D.! So proud of him accepting his new responsibility. We were so sad we couldn't be there for his special day. That's great he was able to feel the spirit and he really could tell the difference. Too cool. Tell him he's awesome! See you all in a couple of weeks. Yea!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome experience! Tell J.D. we are proud of him! He looks very handsome!

The Amayesings said...

What a nice day! I love to hear (and experience w/my own kids) these wonderful "seedling" testimony-builders. Thanks for sharing, and congrats to JD and your famiy!

Melissa Pratt said...

It is so awesome to see everyone getting old enough to be baptized, what a special experience!! I still can't believe that they are all old enough, time goes by so fast, before we know it they will be driving!! (that is a scary thought. LOL) Congrats JD that is great!!!!

Michelle said...

How exciting! It is always fun to see your pictures of our Northwood friends.

Cristie said...

We treasure JD, and we treasure the memory of that day. Thank you so much for making us part of the sacred occasion!

Randy and Caroline said...

There is no way JD is this old?? Wasn't it only like last year you were pregnant with him, and we ate an enormous amount of food together every weekend in your cute condo? Good times, good times. What a beautiful, sweet boy he has turned into.