Established 1996

Established 1996

Monday, May 19, 2008

Angels Watching Over Us...

So all of this talk about our next big trip to the west started me thinking about how much I LOVE riding in the car with my kiddos. Ha! Also, I've been recalling some of the scary car accidents I've been involved in through the years. Hmmm....not such a good thing to remember before heading out on a big road trip! So I thought I'd jot down a few of the accidents (that I can remember anyway - my head's been knocked around a bit!) that I've been involved in through the years. They are a constant reminder that there are angels watching over us.

1. Before seat belts were a big deal, my YW class piled into our leader's car to get some ice cream. I was sitting in the back passenger seat with some other beehive chaquita on my lap. We were hit from behind by a large pick-up truck. We were at a stop sign and the dude hit us so powerfully that we didn't stop until we were right in front of the fire station. Poor guy - bad timing! The saddest thing about the ordeal for me was that all of the ice cream cones came slamming into my face upon impact! That taught me not to go to mutual anymore. JK!

2. My first job was as a waitress at a local country club. The road I took to get to work was a fairly busy highway. I remember listening to Mozart. Suddenly a stupid blue mini-van pulled out right in front of me. I swerved, lost control, did a 360 and ended up facing oncoming traffic. The miracle of the whole event was that the oncoming traffic must have been stopped at a light because no cars were coming. I whipped my Subie into reverse, managed to avoid the huge UTA bus barreling towards me and made it to work safe and sound. I was shaky all evening. I think I said my prayers that night.

3. This is a good one. It happened during college. Joel was flying home after spending an entire summer in Jerusalem. I had racked up $1500 in phone bills and Joel had spent even more on my wedding ring. Yeah, we were excited to see each other again. Anyway, on my drive to the airport, some loser kid pulled out from a gas station and slammed right into me (while I was driving 55 mph!). The first thing I did was get out of the car and ask the guy if he had insurance. There was shattered glass all over the highway. The entire passenger side was smashed all the way in - the car was totaled. My poor Subie. Long story short, I eventually made it to the airport. Late, but alive. Joel's parents were late too. No one was there to welcome him home. How sad. The good part was I bought a cheaper car with my insurance money. $1500 cheaper to be exact. Yeah for paying off phone bills.

4. Man, I'm remembering tons of accidents, or near misses. I could write for hours. Really. Anyway, I'll end with the best of them all. It's the reason why I avoid making left hand turns. It's the reason why Nathaniel calls me a "granny driver." It's the reason why my dad had to rescue us in Arizona. I've piqued your interest haven't I? So Joel and I were in med school in AZ. I took JD to the movie store to reward him with a rental of his choice (he was really good at preschool). Thankfully, I left Camryn (merely 6 weeks old and nursing) with Joel. I was turning left onto THE main street in our city. Boom, it was over. I didn't even see the oncoming car. Yes, this accident (the only I might add) was my fault. Very, very, very long story short...we all survived, but there was a HUGE, GINORMOUS, HUMONGOID traffic back-up. Oi vey, what a disaster! There was an ambulance and life flight helicopter. Luckily, no one had to use the helicopter. It was such a miracle. We hit perfectly to avoid me being seriously injured or killed.
JD was completely fine - other than the fact he kept reenacting his mom hitting her head against the window over and over! So I totaled our "nice" car a couple of days before a big road trip up to UT. Perfect. The passengers in the other car were taken by ambulance to a local hospital. They ended up being ok, but I was sick about it for weeks. I remember calling hospital after hospital trying to find out if they were ok. I was scared for 2 years that they would sue us (AZ law prohibits it after 2 years). Luckily they didn't - their lawyer must have discovered we were worth zilch. The sad thing was that they were an older couple from Chicago visiting their son. I know, it's awful! Anyway, upon hearing our crappy news, my awesome dad told us he was going to drive all the way down to AZ and drive us and our remaining "unsuitable for driving long distances" car up to UT (we needed to be in UT for a med. school rotation). What a stud!

OK, why did I just write all of that? Now I'm paranoid to drive! I do have to say that this totally random post has also reminded me that I definitely have some angels watching out for me.

5 comments:

jen Whetman said...

Sister,
Nice memories... I didn't know about all of those, I guess it's because I was married and gone. So glad all is well. I, too, believe there are angels watching over us, otherwise I'd be dead for sure (too many night shifts, no sleep). Be safe and don't push it coming to see all of us.
Sister

Cristie said...

I'm SO glad that angels are watching over you!

don bagley said...

Heather: Maybe you should start taking taxi's? When I called the guy who totalled your car in Logan, I pretended to be an insurance agent--found out who his agent was, and learned that this was the 3rd or 4th accident he was involved in recently. Worried about losing his insurance! In your new suburban, your survival rate should be pretty good for the trip west. This summer, there will be an energy surcharge for using our basement. Also, thinking about a user fee for parking in the driveway! Maybe the kids can work it off? Bring your student loans to cover the cost. Crazy how times are a'changing! Looking forward to your visit. Love you all, Dad and Mom

Teresa said...

Wait, first I am glad you are alive. I remember the one In AZ...not good. BUT, when are you coming out West? I may have to swing something so that I can crash your party! Were you planning on not telling me or something? Maybe you should think about that before publishing it in your blog! I would love to see you despite it though, let me know when your trip is!!

Melissa Pratt said...

Hey Heather just saw that you left a message, how are you doing, are you coming to Utah anytime? Rachelle Jeppson, wanted to say hello, I gave her your email address she wanted to send a message and also I just talked with Daina Romney. check out daina's blog page it is dainerdoo.blogspot.com
kind of fun to keep in touch with a number of the people that used to live in the apartments.