Joel...
"So what do you want for Mother's Day this year," Joel asked a couple of weeks ago. He was visibly relieved when my response was, "You don't need to buy me anything." He tensed up when I followed that up with, "I just want to have a day of solitude. You can handle everything, right?" Joel usually gets a little tense when faced with that prospect. He's such a trooper though. He came home from a 36 hour moonlighting shift this morning (he can sleep at this one) and has tried to make my day special ever since. He did some laundry (I know, I know, it's Sunday, but I'll take it man!), got the kids ready for church (with my help), and invited us to the Olive Garden to celebrate. JD said, "But it's Sunday Dad." DANG THOSE RIGHTEOUS KIDS! So we had french toast sticks with eggs and sausage instead. Eternal salvation never tasted so sweet :).
My Kiddlins...
I reminded JD and Camryn like a dozen times yesterday that they had to be good for me because it was Mother's Day tomorrow. When they were fighting I'd say, "You're not making my Mother's Day very special." That got them to stop. It lasted for a bit until they became desensitized to my guilt trip. They were way cute today though...
JD...
He crawled into bed with me this morning and we snuggled for a while. Afterwards, he darted downstairs to retrieve his Mother's Day present for me (that he made at school). It was this cute mama bunny holding a book. The pictures inside of the book were meticulously colored by JD. While we were hanging out in my room waiting for Christian and Camryn to wake, he told me, "Mom, I'll get Christian when he wakes up and take him downstairs and play playdoh with him. Will you get the playdoh out?" Hmmm....adorable, but a big mess to clean up. Instead, he brought Christian to me and we all snuggled until Dad came home. Later in the evening JD came upstairs and presented me with a cute watering can made out of clay. I hugged him and said, "Ohhh, you're so dang cute! Thank you!" "Acutally," he said,"I made it for me. Will you bake it?"
Nice.
Camryn...
She wanted to make my day special too. She kept giving me these totally random things that were laying around the house as my presents. She would come with her head tilted and say, "This is your present for Mother's Day." She would then hand me things like a yellow paper clip, a peso from Mexico, pieces of paper that were "cookies" and sheet after sheet of her handwritten alphabet. Really it was just the letters A B B over and over with an H thrown in periodically (for Heather of course). She was quite proud to present me with her hand beaded necklace that she made in primary. I put it on immediately and she thought that was just glorious. She asked for it back later that evening.
Nice.
Christian...
He showed me his affection by refusing his nap, hitting me in the face and drawing me lots of cute pictures on my dresser.
Nice.
I'll work on him so that by next year I can guilt him into good behavior too.
Mom...
Well, after breakfast Camryn and JD had a great time playing with my jello tummy. I told them, "I sacrificed my flat tummy to bring you into this world!" They just laughed and kept pushing and poking in amazement. I think Camryn's hand disappeared at one point. I soon tired of the abuse and folded my tummy back into place.
I got to be a "Mystery Mom" in primary today and the kids thought that was pretty fun. I was hidden behind a partition and had to answer random questions with a funny voice. I got to have a day off from Nursery. I got a big chocolate bar at church that JD decided looked good enough to sneak pieces from. I got to have my "solitude" with the kids while Joel kept sneaking upstairs to check on the Jazz vs. Lakers game.
Sweet.
It's all good. My kids love me. My husband loves me. What else could a girl need?
Actually, I can think of a few things....
8 comments:
Heather you crack me up. I LOVE reading your blog!! you're really a good writer!
Mothers Day is grand isn't it? Mine usually ends around 3pm every year for some reason though. I think it is because nobody knows what to do for dinner without my help! It sounds like you had a great day and if I were you, I would make Joel take you to Olive Garden tonight!
Sounds like your day was fun-filled. I chose to sleep, since I worked a 13 hour night shift, so I would be tolerable for later in the day. Don't you just love the fun little things the little people come up with to give you for a present? Brayd made me a grape slushie, Syd made a card and kitchen signs with little sayings on them (we do that for birthdays) and Scot is redoing some things in our yard. All of them used the pioneer stones, from W. Temple, to make me rock pathways throughout the yard, it was all fabulous.
Going to mom and dad's for dinner was great. Granny Z and Charles came, looking more frail than ever. Mom was "thrilled" at all of the gifts she received. Rich gave her clothes that were 2 sizes too big, it was funny.
Question:
Is the Schafeitel family Teresa's from your childhood? If it is "Hi", if not "Hi" anyway I was wondering.
For sure go to Olive Garden, alone with Joel...
Buying presents is sooooooo much easier! Happy Mother's Day.
I love this post!!! Happy Mother's Day Heath!! I agree with schafeitel family... have Joel take you tonight!!
Happy Belated Mother's Day to an awesome mother! (and daughter in law). We are excited to come up and see you guys soon.
Heather: Mom did read your tribute to her. You touched her heart! Glad you had a nice Mother's Day. We had everyone here (except you and Jason) for Sunday dinner. Had a grand time. Mom and I, and Colleen, Kevin, Trevor, and Braydon, are going to Phoenix on the 31st for a week. After that, we are taking Grandma and Charles to Cedar City for a few days. Looking forward to your visit soon. Love, Dadx
Glad you had a good mothers day! We enjoyed mothers day because we were finally done driving! Hope all is well in Michigan.
Post a Comment