Neither Joel nor I had ever cooked a turkey prior to this past weekend. Scary considering it's kind of the star of the show. After doing some research, we decided to go with the classic brining technique (soaking the meat in a combination of water, sugar, salt and spices). This bucket was the only one we had that was big enough to hold the 24 pound bird. It was brand new - makes me feel better anyway.
And of course, the meal was what the whole weekend was about. We had so much dang food, it actually fed us (and that's saying a lot) for like 2 days - turkey gravy and all! In fact, Joel and I are still trying to figure out what to do with all of our remaining turkey. Ideas?
Going back for 2nd, 3rd and more helpings...
And to work off all of those extra calories...time to play some games...
Whenever we get together, someone inevitably busts out the grapes for tossing... look closely, you can actually see the grape mid-air!
Where there are Gardners...music will be also.
I don't think my piano and guitars have ever seen so much action before!
I loved that Camryn got to play some duets with Grandpa and Auntie Brit.
So the day after Thanksgiving we celebrated my neice's birthday at Camryn's gymnastics facility. It should look familar - JD's party was here too. We had so much dang fun flippin' and jumpin' around - I totally felt like a kid again. There was a zip line, half pipe, huge foam pit (the favorite), trampolines and more. I even did a flip through a hole and into the big pit. I defy gravity - I laugh at you old age!
My Joellie doing a flip into the pit!
I hadn't done one of those in like 20 years! It felt great!
This is why I love my big Gardner Fam! They're goofy, gracious (thanks for the thank-you notes!), uplifting and fun! This is why we moved closer to family...
We had such a great time - thanks for all of the memories!
9 comments:
I've been excited to see your post about Thanksgiving--kept checking back because I KNEW it was coming. What a great post! Thank you, Heather and Joel, for an absolutely FANTASTIC time. We had a blast and can't wait to see you all again! (My thank you note is in the mail :))
I've had to make the turkey for 3 Thanksgivings so far, and we've always brined it in our Home Depot bucket! It's the way to go! As for turkey leftovers, you can pretty much substitute turkey in any chicken recipes. Among my favorites are turkey enchiladas (because it's so different from the Thanksgiving feast) and turkey crescents (a mix of turkey, celery, onion and cream of mushroom soup put inside Pillsbury crescent rolls.) Glad to know you guys had a great Thanksgiving!
Looks like a fun weekend! LOVE the grape in the air. We missed meeting the entourage.
totally amazing weekend; the kind of Thanksgivings you only see in feel-good holiday movies.
also, try turkey pot pie.
Wre had a blast! You guys are amazing at hosting all of us. My kids still talk aboutthe foam pit.
I vote Thanksgiving at Joel & Heather's again next year!
Wow, that looks like it was so much fun. I think a day at a gym like that would be a dream. I am glad you all had so much fun together.
Looks like it was a BIG success! That's great Joel's family spent time with each other over some good food. It's nice to have uplifting people in our lives.
Heather: Looks like you had great time. We missed you around our table, but it was fun to see all the Gardners gathered. Pocatello will never be the same. Dad
Post a Comment