
Oh my goodness my 3 year old is obsessed (and possessed, but that's another post) with Star Wars! I made the mistake a few weeks ago of introducing Christian to our Play Station. Big mistake. We had this little moment where Camryn and JD were at school and Spencer was asleep. I tried to be a good mom and bond with my little guy by playing Shrek with him. It was like a porthole opened, a light turned on, a vast universe laid out before Christian's eyes! Instant addiction. Oy vey.
It all started with Shrek and then quickly moved on to Lego Star Wars. That is where it landed and has taken root. From the moment he wakes, he's asking - begging - to play Lego Star Wars. Joel and I went through the same thing with JD when he was about 5. He was obsessed too (that's putting it mildly). We tried an experiment with JD and it worked. We didn't put any limitations on his game playing (to see if he'd get bored of it). It worked. He got Lego Star War "ed" out.
Should work again eh? Not so much.
I'm telling you, this child of mine - he could literally play it all day long - EVERY DAY!

So can I tell you a little secret? You know the sad thing...it's kind of nice sometimes! If you're not thinking the same thing, then you are a much better mom than I! Somehow I got into this really bad habit of sending off Camryn to school and letting Christian play for a bit. Or longer. I think it's been my way of getting a little peace and quite around here.
Side note: You have to understand - he's going through this stage where he never stops asking me questions. EVER.
him: "Why does Luke have a blue light saber?"
me: "Huh, what? Uh because he likes blue."
him: "Is blue good?"
me: "Yes."
him: "Why does Master Windu have a purple light saber?"
me: "Because purple is his favorite color."
him: laughing, "Is he a girl?"
him:"Why does Darth Maul have a mean look on his face? Does General Grievous have 4 legs or 4 arms? Why is Darth Vader evil? Why does Luke only have one light saber?"
me: "Whoa, hold on little dude, why don't you go play Lego Star Wars and figure it out. Mommy needs to find her happy place."
He loves those kind of answers.
So my guilt has caught up with me. He has been officially banned from games for a few days. He needs serious detox. I mean seriously, when you yell downstairs at your child to turn the game off and he answers back, "I can't hear you, Mom." You know you have a problem. Thank goodness Camryn is around in the morning because she has to teach Christian how to play with humans again. He had a bit of a rough morning today. I mean I had a rough morning. By the time he asked me why he couldn't play Lego Star Wars for the 5ooth time, every last hair on my head had been pulled out. "Stay strong," Joel reminded me later. "Easy for you to say, you're not the one who has to entertain a 3 year old all day now!"
I feel hopeful after today. The house is a complete wreck, but I think Christian was reminded what playtime is supposed to be like. I loved having a clean house these past couple of weeks, but I think a messy house coupled with a kid who knows how to use his creativity is the better combo.
Pray for me. It's going to get ugly here over the next couple of days.
Withdrawl can be so painful sometimes.
9 comments:
Oh my... Hilarious! Justice is obsessed with Mario cart Wii. I feel the same as you. "I cherish the peace and quiet. But, it wore off.
May the force be with you, my dear!
"...Mommy needs to find her happy place." I seriously just doubled over with laughter!
I'm currently in the midst of dealing with non-stop questions with our first--and I am beginning to wonder if it will ever end.
I'm so glad you're blogging again!
--Cousin Laura
I was dying laughing...seriously, you are a great blogger. Christian loves those games, eh? That's how Allie is with movies.
You can send him on down our way so he can play Nintendo!! Haha. That's what is always on at our house. When I yell down there to turn it off, they yell back "Okay! I just have to save my game!" Saving their game sometimes takes a little while ;)
I feel your pain Heather. We are obsessed with Star Wars over here too. Nicolas did get bored with the game after a few months though, now he wants all things related to Lego Star Wars and just the "regular" Star Wars too. We have a Star Wars store at our mall that we can't pass by without fits of rage if we don't go in! And the Lego store too, oh and constantly being asked to look on ebay for lego guys. Good times. Nothing wrong with a nice healthy obsession though right!! Good luck over the next couple of days! I hope he can break the habit!!
My kids were obsessed for a while, many years ago, then they slowly used the systems less and less. Now we have ALL the different systems and no one to play them. Yeah, it's nice when they can occupy themselves with the TV. It's better than what teenagers find to occupy their time with...
I so remember trying to ween my kids from their TV addiction. I pulled out all the stops for two days straight. We put together puzzles, colored, painted, did playdough, read books, went for walks. I had to fill their lives will all good things and then after a while they were fine.
I feel your pain about the incessant questions. How do we moms do it?
P.S. I love your new family picture. I am happy to see you are blogging regularly again. I missed your updates.
Heather: About time you started with the family updates again. Cool, Dad
Post a Comment