Established 1996

Established 1996

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Mother's Day 2009


I spent my special day in Utah this year. We arrived Saturday afternoon and spent Sunday reconnecting with family. We were able head over to Josh & Melodie's house to meet 2, yes 2 future fiance's to Joel's siblings. Man, this family is going to be HUGE pretty soon! Both received the thumbs up from us so I guess the plans can move forward. Ha ha.

Alina is Steve's (Joel's younger brother) girlfriend/future fiance. She just recently arrived in America thanks to a student visa. She loves America and Joel's enormous (and not just by Chinese standards!) family. It was cute to see her interact with the multitude of kiddlins around. I just can't believe how brave this girl is. She travelled alone to a foreign country only to be greeted by the Gardner family that she had never met before. She is currently roommates with Joel's younger sister too. I don't know if I would have been as brave as a 20-year-old!


Moving on to my family: my mom was nice enough to cook dinner for my ENTIRE family for HER Mother's Day. I don't know if I will be as nice! It was great to enjoy a good meal and discover that my older sister is finally pregnant with her first. Very cool.

I think the highlight of my Mother's Day happened the friday before at Camryn's preschool. Her class presented a "Day at the Spa" for the women in their lives. It was so dang cute! These little preschoolers gave us the ultimate pedicure: a warm soak in a lavendar scented tub of soapy water, an invigorating 10 seconds of bubbles (made possible by bendy straws) and a very thoughtful polishing effort. Purple of couse. We ladies were able to enjoy all of this while sipping pink punch. A lovely tea party followed. Oh how I'll miss those perfectly painted purple toes! Thanks Camryn.


JD made a little handprint with a poem for my gift. He was cute about it - he ran in the house and told me to close my eyes while he ran up to his room and hid it. He hid it so well that he forgot all about it until our return from Utah. A week later. Ha ha. Thanks JD.

I'm grateful to be a mother to all of these little munchkins. I love to watch them grow-up and mature. The most powerful life lessons are often taught by the smallest teachers! So true. The other day Joel and I were saddened with the realization that we were half way done raising JD. It really does go by that fast. As long as I can keep in mind that my job is to teach them how to be successful stewards over themselves, then I feel worthy of the sacred title "Mother".

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL THE IMPORTANT WOMEN IN MY LIFE!

5 comments:

The Amayesings said...

Looks like fun. What a brave girlfriend, and I'm glad you had a wonderful Mothers Day.

Melissa Pratt said...

Happy mothers day, sounds like you had a wonderful time!!
Your kids are so adorable, they are really growing up.. Where does the time go?
What are your plans for moving?
Have a great week!! When you are out this way next time let me know, I would love to visit!! We could even do your hair if you would like, we don't have to do it in the kitchen anymore, my salon is in the basement..

J said...

I absolutely love the pedicure. I am going to have to ask for one of those, straw bubbles and all.

I totally related to the comment about being half done raising JD. Yesterday I had a quiet conversation with Mark about something very important to him and I wondered how many more years he will confide in me.

I work so hard to make sure the kids see me as a friend as well as a mom. You seem to do that just naturally. Maybe you should write a book about it...you know, in your spare time.

jen Whetman said...

It was nice to see all of you for a bit... When Camryn is older, go have a girlie day and enjoy a spa day together. Sydney and I have done that a few times and loved the time together. Being a Mother is such a joy and never-ending surprise as the little people get older and leave, too soon. It's coming too soon for me, but I'm ready for a new adventure...Granny

Yolanda said...

Awesome post, Heather. The comment about teaching the children to be good stewards over themselves is great. I feel so frazzled lately, like I have no control but it is good to remember I need to let them learn to control. Isaac will be ten in a couple weeks and Hyrum will be baptized. I can't believe it. I agree,Alina is very brave. When I met her last week she asked how many kids I had. 5, "Wow, lots of big families." was her response.:)