Established 1996

Established 1996

Friday, January 23, 2009

And the Word of the Day is...


For some reason "P" words have been on my mind lately - maybe because I have to all the time (ha ha). Wanna know what's been going on my pathetic brain, please read on. Yes, I really am a freak - I mean phreak.


~Photos & Publishing Blog Books~
I haven't written lately because I've been so busy putting my blog book together. I finally finished it and it came in the mail the other day. I'm soooo happy with the results! The whole reason I started blogging was to keep a family journal so that I could just print the baby off each year. I love that I don't have to scrapbook anymore! If you haven't done a book yet, I highly recommend it - come check mine out if you're around!

~Politics~
So how could I not comment on the whole political scene at least once this year?? I love being up on current events, but I feel completely overwhelmed with the whole political climate in our country right now. I watched the inauguration of our 44th president last week and it boy did it elicit some emotions for me.

First of all, I love my country and our rich heritage. I couldn't help but compare Obama's inauguration with that of John Adams. Talk about a serious juxtaposition of pomp and circumstance vs. humility. It all seemed a bit "paradish" - a new "P" word I just made up. I felt like I couldn't enjoy the historic nature of the event because it was being shoved down my throat by the media! I do think it's quite amazing that our first African American president will be living in a house that slaves were forced to help build. However, can we please move on to policy and stop the whole Obama worshiping? I mean our country is a mess and I'm hopeful that Obama can clean things up. I couldn't help but feel sorry for him these last few months - I mean he's only a man and people are certainly excited to put him up on a pedestal rather quickly. That's a lot to live up to. I didn't vote for him, but he's my president now and I'm actually really excited about moving forward. Hopefully the next few years will be better than the last.

~Piano~
So piano is included in my latest post because my wonderful son has decided that practicing the piano is the time to revert back to toddlerhood. Joel and I LOVE this time of day: the whining, crying, excuses, tantrums. Ahhh, now this is REAL music to our ears! What should take about 15-20 minutes, ends up taking up to 1 hour sometimes. When it does get to this point, half the time is taken on either Joel or me (usually me) trying to discuss the benefits of not giving up, the benefits of practicing, being well-rounded etc. I swear I love JD, but sometimes he kills me! He is so smart and wonderful I guess I just have so many expectations and hopes for him. I keep telling him that some day when he impresses a girl he likes with a lovely little tune, he'll think, "Man, my mom was right all along!" I warned him that when that beautiful day comes, he is to immediately hug me and say, "thanks mom!" That's what gets me through the 4:30-5:00 practice time.

~Pregnancy~
So I have about 3 weeks left before #4 comes. At my last appointment, I was informed that I was 2 cm and 70% effaced - pretty normal for me. What scared me was all of the cramping I experienced after my appointment. It dawned on me that I could go into labor at any moment now and I'm so not ready! Once I felt better, I got to work: organizing some clothes, buying diapers and nursing bras - all the necessities! Is this a sign? Is he coming soon? I hope not (I can't believe I just wrote that!)! I have so much stuff to do before that day comes. I have to finish Camryn and Christian's baby books, start a new one for baby #4, finish assisting at Camryn's preschool (so I don't have to next semester), get my braces off (wahoo!!!!) and get my hair done (since that won't be happening again for a very very long time!). This baby better behave himself!

~Paranoia, Pain & Perspective~
If you know me, you know I'm a paranoid basket case during pregnancy. I mean these babies are such miracles and to have so many of them turn out healthy is amazing. My personal paranoia seems to have tapered off a bit (it's true Joel - seriously!) now that his birth is imminent, there isn't much I can do. I better just enjoy this last experience. In terms of pain, I definitely have my share of that, but it's not as bad as it was with Christian. That perspective keeps me going. Perspective has also taught me that it is much easier to take care of these babies while they're still inside! Forget it, I'd rather have a newborn!

~Random "P" stuff~
Progressive Soup: I experienced a little miracle last week at Costco. JD actually tried a new food item. Upon tasting the flavorful elixir Progressive created in a can (chicken noodle), he exclaimed, "Mom, I just can't stop eating this (about 1 1/2 tablespoons worth)! It's so dang good!" Yes, I bought it. We've been eating it each night Joel is late at the hospital.

Parties - tea that is: Camryn's 2 favorite things in the world are playing with Kit (her American Girl Doll) and hosting tea parties - multiple times a day. She thoughtfully sets the table up with her "glass set" (a porcelain set she got for Christmas) and snacks (her favorite part). She has a special chair for Kit. She even gives her a plate full of treats (her way of getting 2 treats!). Christian adores being invited because he gets to pile in more food. Dad and Mom LOVE her tea parties because all we have to do is sit and she serves us food - a perfect arrangement.

Pigging out - Man, I wish my mouth were bigger! I'm totally out of control - it's my way of finding happiness right now! I don't cook anymore because my belly aches when it's pushed up to the countertop. So what do we eat (besides Progressive soup)? Ummm...yes please. I got Jimmy John a couple of days ago, Joel took us to Bob Evans (my kids' favorite) last night, and I had lunch with a friend at Olive Garden today! Man, what a porker!

Plastic and Paper Products
- I worship them. I keep that a secret from my conservationist Ann Arbor friends. My kids won't know what to do with real silverware and dishes when we move!

Pokey Real Estate
- We put an offer on a home a few days ago. We actually offered full price (from when we saw the house). They since raised the price (yes, raised - in this market no less!) The crazy people countered with a number even higher than their current price! What? We thought that it was quite phunny and phrustrating so we told them to phorget it!



OK OK, I'm done with the "P" thing. Now I've been sitting here writing this for awhile, so if you'll please excuse me, I must leave and go "word of the day!" Told you I was a phreak.


7 comments:

The Amayesings said...

I so enjoyed, agreeed with, and could totally relate to your thoughts.
Amen about Obama--I mean President Obama. My thoughts exactly.
I hear ya on the paranoia w/baby. All will be well. Hang in there. And the piano (but it's homework with one of my boys).
I feel your phrustration on the whole house-hunting thing. (By the way, where are you looking? Maybe we could offer some insight if you need or are interested.)
Good luck w/parties, packing and preparing! (I MISS Jimmy Johns!! Is there one in Poky? I might have to take a road trip!)

don bagley said...

Heather: Fun to read your comments. Hope all turns out well with #4 (ten toes and 10 fingers!) I finished my radiation treatments Friday. Have to wait for March's pet-scan to verify it all worked as advertised. If not, no one will commit to a refund. All well at home. Jenny is finishing her basement; Frank installed my new computer; and, everyone else is anxiouly awaiting your #4. Our best wishes, Mom and Dad

Brit said...

have you considered "Incentives" for JD's piano practicing? like he earns a point for each time he practices without complaining, does all his assignments, gets it done by dinner time, etc etc and then after he earns like 100 points he gets a dinner out with dad or a small lego set or a trip to the dollar store or whatever else would motivate him? I'm telling ya--incentives are the way to go when you've got a kid that needs to practice.

Randy and Caroline said...

Just wanted to say hi and we hope all goes well with #4. Here is another p - PS your kinda weird, but we love ya!

Cristie said...

Loved your entry! Here's the thing that worked (and the ONLY thing that worked, other than waiting until Dave discovered girls were impressed with guys who could play the piano--and that was at age 15, so a little late) was to offer $5 for each hymn played perfectly. For JD's age you could pick a piece that's challenging for him but doable, then graduate to hymns later. I'll tell you, the kids were fighting over who could play the piano! (this was after Joel's era, obviously). We found out they teach themselves better, and it saved a ton on piano teacher costs. Good luck! Can't wait to see the new little guy. Let me know when he's on his way, and I'll be there in a 2-hour heartbeat!

jen Whetman said...

I'm with you, sister, re: the Obama phrenzy... (couldn't resist P word) He's totally sucking it in. I hope he gets over himself and fixes this mess of a country, it's scary!
Practicing the piano was also a nightmare for us, too. It became such a torturous nightmare that my kids were kicked-out of piano lessons by their teacher. What does that tell ya? How embarrassing.
I was thinking I'd bring out a Junie B. Jones book and read to them while I'm there. My kids LOVED the fun little stories. It got them to stay in their beds and be quiet while I read to them when they were young.
Good luck with #4, I can't wait to see him...

lisa said...

You are so funny! I know I will totally go through that with Ty when he starts piano-that is when we get a piano. I am way excited for you to have your baby. I agree with you on right now. Basically my mouth gets bigger and so do my thighs. Seriously! I started walking on the treadmill finally. Let me know what goes on with the house thing. Call me.