Established 1996

Established 1996

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Yes, I really am a freak...


So just in case you weren't aware of what a freak I am, I thought I'd share a great little memory that occurred our first summer in Michigan. You see, I'm feeling a little nostalgic with the start of school around the corner, so I've been thinking a lot about JD's first AND second day of kindergarten.



So rewind back 2 years ago to the first day of JD's afternoon kindergarten. I was super nervous about leaving my baby to his own devices - as any typical mother would be. I took him to school the first day to meet his teacher (this dumb school doesn't believe in back to school night PRIOR to the first day). We came a little early and she didn't like that. She told us to come back in 12 minutes. Strike 1, but not a big deal.



I didn't trust the school because of their total lack of organization and communication. They screwed up with JD's bus situation so I decided to go and observe how the school would handle the first day bus departures. I just sat and watched. I couldn't believe what disaster I was witnessing. The buses were late so there were kids all over the place. The poor little kindergarteners didn't know what to do. There weren't any adults helping them. Kids were crying and confused. Strike 2. Now I'm getting mad.



Of course I made sure the neighborhood kids were on the right bus (except that was screwed up too) and I followed them home. So up came the bus with all the excited mom's waiting to greet them. They got all frantic when I yelled, "The school was a mess today & the kids are on the other bus that drops off up the street!" All the poor moms took off running to save their babies. There was confusion and tears. The worst part was some poor kid didn't get off the bus and his mom was running frantically trying to find him. He was still at school. Nice. Strike 3. Time to call the principal! She assured me that all of the problems occurred because the buses were late. Yeah right.

So of course I followed JD's bus to school the next afternoon (he was in 1/2 day kindergarten) just to find the bus driver totally confused as to what to do with the poor 5 year olds. I got out of my car to lead her and the kids to the right destination. Strike 4. Can you fire a school?

So this is the worst part. The day that will forever live in infamy. So I obviously felt that I needed to go to school again for the bus departures. I had to freak'n park behind the school and drag my 2 kids around to the front just to turn around again to head back home - I was a little late to see for sure if JD was on the right bus. I figured I had better hurry home so that I could maybe beat the buses and be there for my baby. Well, I was a little frantic so I kinda ran a little red road sign (yeah, a stop sign) in the middle of campus - in front of a campus police car. The chase began.

By the time I noticed the flashing lights behind me, I was going through a busy intersection. Now I didn't know at the time that Michigan has this RETARDED law that you have to pull over the moment the lights flash - even if it's in the middle of a 2 lane road & cars have to wait for the ticket to be written! Yup, that's safe. I just assumed that I would pull over in the first safe place which happened to be the entry into family housing. I kind of pushed my luck by not pulling into the 1st parking lot. I wanted to pull into the 2nd lot so I could be there for my poor baby on the crazy bus! I motioned to the cops that I was pulling over into the next lot. They didn't like that so they got on their loud speaker and screamed, "PULL THE CAR OVER NOW!"

All of Northwood heard it and I'm sure some people thought it was some drug bust or something! I parked just in time to see the bus pulling up. Poor JD got out just to see two police (campus that is - do they count?) officers slowly approaching his mom's car with hands on their pistols - just in case the crazy soccer mom would bust a move. I tried to explain, but they treated me like a hardened criminal. My poor neighbor (remember this Talli??) came over to see what was up and one of the freak police officers yelled at her, "STEP AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE!" She was like what the crap?? My other neighbor's family was watching from their front window (remember this Michelle??). Poor Camden cried, "Mommy, I don't want Heather to go to jail!"

Wow, that was great. I was the new gal in town and here I was in all of my glory! In the end, I got a ticket for running a stop sign (geez, it was a California stop people!). It was super expensive so I decided to plea insanity in my court appearance. I was super nervous, but the judge obviously felt sorry for me and cut my ticket in half.

I was so mad at the school that I let myself turn into a super freak! Oh the things crazy soccer moms will do for their babies! JD's 1st grade experience was more pleasant because I was better prepared to handle things - even though the school was still a mess the first day!

Poor JD is so my experiment in parenting. Poor kid. Hey, at least I care right? Hopefully this year (2nd grade) will be much better. Wish me luck!


Do you see that JD is happy in all of his pictures??
See, I really am a good mom - he wasn't aware of
the chaos around him. Mission accomplished
.



9 comments:

Leslie said...

ugh... I'm just praying that things go better this year!! So if you see me crying in the parking lot you'll know what's up.. :) What's up with this school!!

Brit said...

actually the first thing I noticed was that JD WAS happy in all those pics, even though it was a crazy day! you are a great mom, Heath, if he wasn't even phased by all that!! ha

caligirl said...

LOL!! I totally remember that. Got to love that bus system. The worst part was I had never had any problems and I kept telling you what a great school it was:-) Got to love it:-)

don bagley said...

Heather: good to see you are still fighting/challenging the system. Somebody has to make it right? Things will be better organized in Pocatello. I understand they ride horses to school--and the horses know where to go. Hope all is well. See you in October. Dad

amydear said...

Oh my gosh, no one was as bad as Mrs. Nader. You have to agree that first grade was much better! And that first day of school bus fiasco still isn't very funny, those poor kids! Thanks for trying to save Jillian.: )

jen Whetman said...

Oh my vomit! That is too funny to ever forget! Now that it is documented in the "Chronicles of Garnia" JD will never forget what his super-freak of a mom did for him. Let me just say, show this story to him when he is about 15 or 16, then maybe he'll be nice to you... good luck. I almost quit nursing school because Brayd was left at school (kindergarten) by his babysitter. He stayed on the playground for the rest of the day, until the older kids were done with school and my neighbor's kids walked him home. Yeah! no adults noticed a 5 year old hanging out by himself. Seriously! My good friend talked me out of quitting and she made sure my babies were taken care of so I would graduate. How stressful is that? Thank heavens for great friends and neighbors... Good luck sister.

Teresa said...

Holy crap, I would of lost it! I always drove Drew to school until we moved here and I followed her bus for the first two weeks of school! She never knew, but I was a freak about it too!! I can't believe that though! Poor kids! JD is so cute, and so GROWN UP! I can't believe that our babies are eight (or almost) now! I remember not so long ago hanging out with you in Kaysville trying to figure out this Mom thing together! Now you are going to have four!! AHHH!! :)

Angie said...

That is the best story ever! I'm sorry that you had to go through all that, but thanks for sharing the story for a laugh for the rest of us. Hopefully you can laugh about it now, I'm sure it was totally horrible at that time. You are so cute in primary with the kids by the way.

Anonymous said...

ahhh, another super freak! I too followed Brielle's bus the first week, and saved the day a few times. And this year as I sat at back to school night in Taelynn's kindergarten class the teacher points to me and says and if your nervous you can follow the bus if it makes you feel better. A few of the moms giggled and the dads smiled weakly at me. And I just said "ohh you'll be there too, just wait." mmmm, it's good to be a mom.